Thursday, August 16, 2007

And so it was 7 years ago



As my daughter had just turned 3 months old, she had to say goodbye to her maternal grandfather. We had not planned this child so early in our marriage but I truly believe that she was a symbol of the circle of life. She arrived to us in time so that my father, whose life was cut short by the cancer demons, was able to meet his first grandchild. The 3 months with the two of them seemed short. We lived in Phoenix and he lived in Michigan. He made it to her birth and was able to hold her at several later dates. In his weakened state, he fed her a bottle and played to her on the piano. A love that only a grandparent knows.

I would give many things to be able to sit and have a conversation about life with him now, receive one of his tight hugs or listen to his heavenly fingers strike the piano. None of this however would mean as much as it would to see him with all of his 5 grandchildren.

He was a man of courage, passion and pure love. He loved my mother and his children without effort. He loved friends and strangers. He gave all he had to anyone who needed it. He taught me life lessons that I can only now appreciate now as a parent.

I wish I could rewind back seven years to tell him a few more things. I wish I could share my children's' everyday milestones with him. I wish I could hug him, kiss him and hold his hand. I wish he knew our entire family, his son-in-law, daughter-in-law and 4 more precious grandchildren.

Dad, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish you were here!


Owen

Kyle

Joey

Abby

1 comment:

Shannon said...

OK-My heart hurts for you. I lost my Dad to ALS 11 years ago in July. He lived for 3 months after my niece was born. We are also believers in the circle of life and Jordan knows that she is special because she got to hold his hand. I wish your Dad could be there to hold the hands of all of your beautiful children but your love for him will tell them what it felt like. I'm so sorry
Shannon