Monday, October 06, 2008

Weak Legs?


I guess the Mitchell Family needs to work on our leg bone strength or maybe just our luck! I received the dreaded phone call last Thursday at work that Janie had "maybe" broken her leg on the playground. My first question~ which part of her leg? Knowing fully well that there is no way that I can live through another femur and body cast.

Since I am 40 minutes from her school, I called my girlfriend to run over there (she lives across the street). The big debate was whether to call an ambulance. It doesn't sound like the need for an ambulance however they could not move her at all. She was screaming in pain and unable to move her leg. Over the phone, we decided that an ambulance was necessary. I arrived just as they we inserting an IV for some pain meds and then we were off to U of M Hospital. Mind you, it had been exactly 6mths since we headed there with Owen.

So the outcome...two broken bones in her Tibia. She is in a long leg cast (picture to follow) for 1 month. She will then move to a short leg cast for two more months. Yes folks, 3 months total. Owen was only 5 1/2 weeks!

The crazy thing is that we ended up with the same Pediatric Ortho as we did with Owen. She is fantastic and about dropped a load when she walked in. As I told the principal, I am just glad that it was on her time and not mine! I don't need CPS after me.

She is doing fine. The first few days were rough as she had a lot of pain. We ended up back at the ER on Friday night after she fell on her crutches. She spent the next two days on bed rest and is now supposed to use the wheelchair for the first week or two.

I cannot say enough about the support that we have received from Janie's school. They were with her and supportive to me through all of this including evening calls from the principal and old teachers. They have made appropriate accommodations without me having to even ask at the school. We feel so fortunate.

My friends have been generous, caring and super supportive as always. My boss is amazing and fine with the fact that I must leave work early every day to pick her up from school and sometimes come in late.

I am not sure what the reasoning is but luck does not seem to be on our side. I do realize however that once again this is just a minor set back and we will get through it!


This is how we wash the hair!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Holy Cow Allison!! Give Janie our best. AND....Congrats on new baby Allison! Does that mean I need to start calling you the "old" Allison??

Sarah said...

Oh my! I guess this puts the handstands on hold! At least you won't have to deal with a diaper this time! Thinking of all of you!
Sarah

Billie said...

OMG Janie! I would love to know exactly how this happened??? Was she doing gymnastics, or was it the monkey bars?

Sorry about your pain (literally and figuratively) but that hair picture is cracking me up:)