Monday, May 14, 2007

Mothers Day

I just finished reading my post about mothers day from last year. I have decided that I still have the same outlook. Mothers day has never been an extra special-my husband goes above and beyond-sleep in as late as I want-get big gifts day. I am okay with that. But it is simple, or so it seems to me, to make someone feel just a little special. I love to do this. I love to think of that little thing that could brighten someones' day. I think I can generalize with exception (my bro and father being the exception) that most men don't think this way! I asked my mom on Saturday night if there were things about her father that my Dad could never compare with. The reason for my question is that although my husband is a great father, a good partner and very supportive, he is missing the "spontaneous, above and beyond, make someone feel like a million bucks - gene". I am okay with this but this is not how my dad was. My dad brought flowers to my mom all the time. My father put together care packages when I was in college just from him. My father was just like that!

And so, I spent a wonderful Mother's day at my sister's house in Columbus with my kids and my mom while Mike stayed in Detroit and worked. I did get a nice card and a plant for the yard. I enjoyed my kids and got huge hugs from my hubby last night.

This post is not supposed to be about what Mothers Day is not. Instead, I want to say what it is. It is a day for me to celebrate being a mom and honoring my incredible mother.

My mother has been incredibly unselfish throughout her tenure as a mother and a grandmother. She has provided, taught some of life's best lessons and always loved unconditionally. I feel very strongly that because of the way my mother was/is, I am the person that I am today. She has taught me to be a caring, kind and anappreciative person. I can only hope that one day, I can feel that I have raised my children as well as she raised us. I hope that one day, my kids feel the same way about me as I feel about my mother! I love you mom and thank you for being the best mommy that a child could ever dream of!

No comments: