Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A bad mommy moment!

I have come to realize that I am a pretty routine person. Despite my effort to break this and try to be more spur of the moment, fly by the seat of my pants, the reality is that I like routine. My day goes pretty much the same way every day with the exception of little wrenches that are thrown in the way. I guess I like it that way. Yesterday was different. What is different to me may not seem unusual to most but nevertheless, it threw me.

I got home from work at about 3:15pm. Janie was outside kicking the soccer ball and the boys were inside playing with the Krissy (the Nanny). Usually they go down for their afternoon nap between 3p-4p. Aparently they took a 2.5hr morning nap so Krissy was holding them off. So, at about 3:45p I went to put them down for a nap. The boys still get swaddled (I am sure that this is not normal for almost 1 year old) and then laid down to bed. Well this was just great for Owen who fussed for a few minutes and then went to sleep. Kyle however cried for the next 45 min. I went in several times and re-wrapped him and gave him his binky but he was just not going to go down. This just does not happen to me! Fortunately my babies are good about going to sleep. They may fuss for a minute or so but nothing more. Not the case yesterday. After 45 min., I got Kyle out of bed and tried to rock him a bit (I think Krissy is rocking them to sleep sometimes during the day). No luck! Meanwhile Janie is in need of attention with her computer program. She came up screaming that I had to come now (as if a fire had started) and would not tell me why. I could not get her calmed down so finally told her to SHUT UP! I don't talk to my kids this way nor do I have any plans to ever do so. She went off to my bedroom crying and started to watch TV. Oh my...

My point is, my children pretty much follow the same routine every day. I had trouble getting Kyle down (he never did nap) and then 30 minutes later, Owen was back up. So, I did not get dinner made, I did not get the boys dinner ready before they woke up, the laundry did not get started and I seriously neglected Janie! Uugh! It was so frustrating and fortunately Janie and I had a talk and some tears and I explained that I was having a "bad mommy moment" She in turn told me that I was the best Mommy ever and to stop crying.

All is well and I realize how incredibly blessed I am to have really great children who most of the time follow "my routine"!

No comments: