Sunday, August 17, 2008

8 years ago...


I have been thinking for weeks about this date, August 17. Not because it was the day that I was married but because it was the day that my amazing father died, 8 years ago.

The picture above is obviously my wedding day. This picture has such significance because it is a moment that I will cherish forever. It was also just days before my father would be diagnosed with cancer. The feeling I had when my father walked me down the isle is something I will never be able to explain. The sense of security, love and honor was indescribable.

There are many of these times that I wish I could do just one more time. I may have not completely realized how great it was when it was happening, but I sure realize it now that it is gone. I wish I could feel his hand holding mine again. I wish I could feel the floating feeling that I felt when I danced with him. I wish I could call him and have him console me when I am sad. I wish I could tell him about my job and seek advice. I wish I could sit next to him at the piano so he could sing Swinging on a Star to me.I wish I could see him interact with his grandchildren and feel how proud he is. I wish I could hear his voice and smell his smell. I still wish he was hear every day!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Your dad was a great Uncle as well. I remember the last time I saw him, John and I drove up to Mt. Pleasant and had dinner with him at a local place. Im so glad that I was able to see him shortly before he passed away.

On another note....go to thecutestblogontheblock.com . You can give your blog a makeover and it is totally simple (and free)!!