Monday, October 30, 2006

Sooner than later

I knew this day would come. After all, we have conquered most gates and can climb out of anything with straps. Yes, my children have officially climbed out of their cribs at 18mths old. If anyone knows me well, bed time is a very important thing for me. When it is bed time or nap time, I put my kids down and that is all there is to it. This is my time (right..) or my time with Janie or Mike or laundry time or whatever-I-have-not-been-able-to-do-why-the-boys-are-awake-time! Whatever it may be, it is important to me and fortunately, my kids go to bed well.

Well, this all changed on Sunday. Janie and I were up at my Mom's for my Sissy's baby shower. Mike stayed home with the boys. He put them down at noon for their daily nap. 10 minutes later he heard a loud thud. He thought "great, Kyle has learned how to get out" So, he ran upstairs and no, it was not Kyle. Kyle was already out of bed playing, it was Owen who had fallen. I can see Kyle running over to his bed trying to coax him out. My little Owey would never do this on his own!

They went to bed fine last night. So I was thinking maybe it was just a one time thing. No such luck! When Mike heard the boys this morning and went into get them, Kyle was out and about playing like he is 4 years old. Oh my!

This is not safe. I fear that they will hurt themselves very bad crib climbing. Kyle may have conquered it quietly so that he does not tune us in but Owen is not quite strong enough. I read in Parents Magazine to move them at this point into big beds. Guess what? I am not ready. I am not ready for them to roam their bedroom for hours each night and I am certainly not going to lay with them until they sleep! Call me selfish!

I am going to by nets! Watch for an update....

No comments: