Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mother's Day

I have several things to write about today including, the boys second b-day (adjusted), my OBGYN and Mother's day. I am choosing to start with Mother's Day before it gets away from me. A friend of mine blogged about this the other day and I was so on the same page as her that I decided I wanted to add to her thoughts.

Bottom line, what is the meaning fo Mother's Day supposed to be? Is it a day to kick back and relax or pamper? Is it a day to realize that your are so lucky to be a mom? Is it a day for your husband to do all of the jobs around the house and caring for the kids? Or, is it simply just a day to make cards for and mothers to be let down?

For the past 5 years (my first Mother's Day was spent in the hospital having just given birth to Janie) my expectations were high and the let down was somewhat huge. Usually my family all comes in to celebrate Mother's Day and Janie's b-day together. This is great and I love my family. However, it means cooking, cleaning, shopping, entertaining and ultimately feeling sorry for myself because I did not receive any of the above. In fact two years ago, I remember sitting and eating brunch at my house and my husband going off on me for some comment that I made, in front of my family nevertheless. Of course I spent the rest of the day crying and super frustrated!

News report - This year was different for me! My family was mostly in Columbus and we could not go because Mike had to work. So, without many expectations, I rose from bed with kiddies and was sent back. I went back to bed until get this - 8:50am. Now I could hear kids crying and laughing and making all kids of noises during this unrestful time but hey, I was just happy with the thought! Truly it has been 1 year since I have slept past 8am and even 7a is super rare. After I got up, we went to breakfast at my favorite Coney Island (my choice because that way I don't have to worry about the mess that the kids make) So we had breakfast and then Janie and I went and had a manicure and pedicure or as she says "medicure and pedicure" This of course was planned by me. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I was surprised with a really cool necklace that I wanted (I purposely left the ad on the table for reference) and a huge card (huge because all others were sold out late Saturday night). So after the mani and pedi, the grocery shopping began followed by laundry, feeding and baths.

Here I am having had a great Mother's day, including time to reflect about how I am the luckiest mom in the world, and I still am making comments about the little things that I would have done differently. It isn't that I am not appreciative, because I am. It is not that I don't think that my husband is the bomb, because he is truly a great partner/team player. It is just that Mom's know best and what seems so simple to us, is just not simple to them! Until next year, I continue to be lucky!

No comments: